The champions of this year’s Eurovision Song Contest, Ukraine, announced through their broadcaster’s Eurovision-themed social media, the rules with which their national selection for the 2023 Contest will be held. Ukrainian Television will accept song submissions from today until October 15, 2022. Applications for participation in the national final can be sent through the website www.eurovision.ua.
The rules of the Ukrainian national final, exactly as they were announced are as follows:
- An online voting will determine the composition of the jury for the National Final and also the Ukrainian jury for the Eurovision Song Contest 2023
- Both solo performers and bands, already existing or specificially created for this event, are allowed to participate
- Songs can be submitted in any language, except the language of the aggressor state
- Personal participation in listening to the longlisted participants is mandatory
- The final of the National Selection will be held in December 2022 in Kyiv and broadcasted on Suspilne TV channels and digital platforms.
View this post on Instagram
Two of the announced rules are of exceptional interest. First of all, the national final will be held relatively early, in December 2022, whereas previous versions of Vidbir usually determined Ukraine’s representative in February. The Albanian Festivali i Këngës is usually the first national final of each Eurovision season but also the only one to be held so early. So this may result in Ukraine being one of the first countries choosing their song for Eurovision 2023.
The second rule makes a very clear statement. The rule says that every language is allowed except for the language of the aggressor state, meaning obviously Russian.
Another announcement was made by the Ukrainian broadcaster, saying that Dmitry Šurov (also known as Pianoboy) will be the official music producer of the Ukrainian team for Eurovision. This is what he said:
“I’m glad to have the opportunity to work as a music producer of this year’s selection. I want Europe to hear and see a modern Ukrainian musician who is part of the global musical context.I know that we have such people, and although it is very difficult to create now, I invite and urge musicians of all styles and genres to urgently pick up their favorite instrument and join the selection.Acceptance of applications will last until October 15, so you have almost two months to create your winning song that breathes new Ukraine, a song that will touch and inspire the world”
Stay tuned on Eurovisionfun for all the news regarding the Ukrainian participation at the Eurovision Song Contest 2023, in the United Kingdom!