Laka: “The problem of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Eurovision is also the religion of our representative”!

Laka is one of the most popular and successful songwriters in Bosnia and Herzegovina. In 2008 with his sister represented the country in Belgrade with the song Pokušaj, taking tenth place.

It is known that Bosnia and Herzegovina’s public broadcaster is facing significant financial problems, hence its abstention from the contest.

In a recent interview, Laka believes that financial resources can be found if the country’s broadcaster decides to return to the contest. But then the problem will be the choice of the artist and the religion / ethnicity to which he belongs. Laka, however, speaks with nostalgia about his previous participation and declares his presence in a possible comeback.

Once the state is interested in being promoted in Europe, money will be found for the Eurovision Song Contest, but it will still be difficult to choose who will represent the country, a Serb, a Croat, a Bosnian, a Christian or a Muslim. It was great for us at the Eurovision Song Contest, so I would love to participate in this event again.

Bosnia and Herzegovina, which in the 1990s was the focus of fierce fighting between Serbs on the one hand and Bosniaks and Croats on the other, is now a single state entity, with two federal republics and another autonomous region.

About 55% of the country belongs to the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina, while the remaining 45% belongs to the Republika Srpska. There is even the small autonomous region of Brcko. In each of these federal districts, another ethnic group predominates. Demographically, about 50% of the population identifies as Bosniaks, 35% as Serbs, 10% as Croats, and the remaining 5% belong to other ethnicities.

The above puzzle, of course, from time to time created problems in the selection of the representative, since artists from the two most important components of the country (Bosniaks and Serbs) had to be selected.

Thus while e.g. in 2008 the country was represented by Laka, who is Bosnian, last year Marija Sestic, who is of Serbian origin, was chosen.

Laka addresses this problem with his above statement. However, we wish Bosnia and Herzegovina to return to the Eurovision Song Contest soon and give us other entries, such as Pokušaj, which you can enjoy below:

Source: avaz.ba

Bosnia-Herzegovina: Abstain from the Contest for another year

BHRT,Bosnia-Herzegovina‘s  national broadcaster confirmed on the esctoday.com website that the country will not return to the 65th Eurovision Song Contest.

The reason for abstaining, as in previous years, is the large debt of BHRT to the EBU.

The country of the former Yugoslavia completes the list of countries, together with Slovakia and Andorra, who have already announced that they will not participate in Eurovision 2020.

The country participated for the last time in 2016 when it was for the first time blocked in its history. Between 2013 and 2015, the country abstained from Eurovision. Bosnia-Herzegovina competed in the Grand Final for last time in  2012. The country’s representative for that year was Maya Sar with the song “Korake Ti Znam (I know your steps)” and won the 18th place.

The country’s best place is reduced back to 2006 when Hari Mata Hari, with the emblematic “Lejla“, won the 3rd place.

Source: esctoday.com