Posts

Belarus EBU suspension to expire in three years

BTRC, the public Belarusian broadcaster will be suspended from the EBU until 2024.  According to BTRC Director General Ivan Eismont, Belarus received a three year suspension from its EBU membership.  This is the highest suspension a country can get from the organization.

The EBU can of course, review its sanction and reduce its term.  However, the chances of this happening at this point are slim.  The European Broadcaster Union suspended BTRC because of the use of the Lukashenko government to the public channel as a propaganda tool.  Belarus has received international condemnation from different countries and organizations including the European Union for its response to civil protests and the deterioration of press freedom and civil liberties.

In this sense, BTRC will not return as a full member of the European Broadcasting Union until July 1, 2024.  However, if the human rights and rule of law situation in the country does not improve it cannot be excluded that the current sanctions will get extended.  As of now, Belarus will miss the Eurovision Song Contest 2022, 2023 and 2024.  Belarus would have the chance to return to the 2024 Junior Eurovision and to compete in the Eurovision Song Contest 2025.

Will you miss Belarus participation in Eurovision?  Stay tuned for more updates about Belarus in Eurovision!

Source: SB.by

Italy: 11 cities remain in the Eurovision 2022 claim!

August 4th was the first important date for the 66th Eurovision Song Contest. This was the deadline for submitting the application files of the cities wishing to host the contest next May. Of the 17 cities that initially expressed interest, only 11 finally submitted completed proposals. By the end of this month, RAI and EBU will announce the city that will have the honor, but also the responsibility to host Eurovision 2022! Read more

Sergey Lavrov: “The EBU decision on Belarus was disgusting and pure censorship”!

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov criticized the Eurovision Song Contest and EBU’s decision for banning the Belarusian entry from the upcoming contest in Rotterdam.

Organizers of the contest disqualified Belarus from the contest last week after deeming their songs too political.

Speaking in Thursday’s televised comments, Lavrov called the decision “disgusting” and “pure censorship”.

The decision to ban Belarus from the Eurovision Song Contest was really disgusting. An act of clear censorship!

Sergey Lavrov

The first song submitted to the contest called “I’ll teach you” allegedly mocked protesters who disputed the results of the Presidential elections last summer.

Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko said the country would submit another song, but the organizers said the replacement was also breaching the rules and that Belarus would be disqualified.

Armenia’s withdrawal due to the Nagorno-Karabakh war and the blockade of Belarus reduced the number of countries participating in this year’s competition from 41 to 39, while proving beyond doubt that those who believe that politics has nothing to do with the contest, are watching something different.

Listen to the song that would represent Belarus at Eurovision 2021 below:

Do you agree with Sergey Lavrov or do you consider the exclusion of Belarus fair?

Source: Associated Press

Eurovision 2021: Tomorrow the announcement of the scenario according to which the contest will take place!

In the news program of the Dutch public television, Niewsuur, it was recently announced that tomorrow, Wednesday, February 3, the scenario will be announced, according to which the 65th Eurovision Song Contest will take place, on May 18, 20 and 22! Read more

Kazakstan: An unfair decision by EBU – Editorial

EBU has made it clear for another year that it does not intend to make a special invitation to Kazakstan or Kosovo in order to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest. Although the case of Kosovo is quite complex and any participation would have bad consequences, as there are political and diplomatic implications, this is not the case with Kazakhstan.

Kazakhstan is indeed a predominantly Asian country, with a small part belonging to Europe. It is not geographically located in the EBU area countries and is therefore not a member, although the Caucasus countries also do not belong to its broadcasting area, EBU exceptionally accepted the public broadcasters of these countries.

The argument, of course, that Kazakhstan cannot participate because it is not in Europe does not apply, since every year Israel or formerly Morocco, countries that do not belong to Europe, take part. Of course in recent years we have also Australia, a country located on the other side of the earth.

Many argue that Kazakhstan’s political regime is inconsistent with a contest that promotes freedom and respect for diversity like Eurovision. Indeed, Kazakhstan does not have one of the best democracies in the world, but is it worse off than Azerbaijan or, as we now see, Belarus?

It could not be a new case of Australia, that is, to participate with a special invitation, as it is a unique case, which has shown great interest in the competition, before it is finally given the right to participate, say some others. But when 365 songs have been submitted to Kazakhstan for Junior Eurovision this year, think about the interest for the senior Eurovision!

Now if the problem is where the contest will take place if Kazakhstan wins, the same can be said here as in the case of Australia, although Astana is not that far away. That is, to organize it in cooperation with another EBU member country, in the territory of the latter.

While according to the above there is no serious excuse for not participating in a country that has been participating in Junior Eurovision for three years with a special invitation, the EBU continues to close the door unnecessarily in Kazakhstan, despite its great desire to participate.

Kazakhstan, however, continues to hope every year that it will receive the special invitation to participate in the Eurovision Song Contest, just as it does with Australia. The issue is that now the majority of fans are with him, considering the relevant decision of the EBU unfair and selective.

What is your opinion? Should Kazakhstan be invited to the Eurovision Song Contest or not?

EBU: The Announcement on Eurovision 2020 Songs

In a statement on social media, EBU clarified some of those suspended after the contest was canceled. EBU’s intention is to honor the songs and artists of Eurovision 2020!

The announcement

In particular, the statement mentions:

Thus, it is clear that the choice of its representative for 2021 is left to each country’s delegation . It was also clarified whether  they would compete for the same songs this year.

We look forward to the latest from EBU regarding this initiative in the coming weeks!

 

 

EBU: Reference Group meeting for Coronavirus and Eurovision 2020 tomorrow | Shots canceled for all postcards

Tomorrow, we probably will have some interesting news regarding the  Eurovision 2020 and the impact that the spread of coronavirus has. As the Czech Public Broadcaster’s official website for the contest announced tomorrow (17\3), the Reference Group is meeting to assess the situation and the new data.

While the pandemic is spreading elsewhere in Europe faster and elsewhere and with daily cancellations or postponements of major sporting and cultural events, the fate of the Eurovision song contest remains still unknown.

According to the latest EBU official announcement, any decisions will be made in April. Based on our own information, the EBU examines various scenarios, of course considering their legal dimension as well. Postponing the competition, however easy it may be in words, is a complicated process.

We do not think that tomorrow there will be a final decision on what is to come with this year’s competition. Both the Dutch organizers and the EBU are in close contact with the relevant health services, while considering alternative scenarios that may need to be implemented.

What is certain is that the postcard shootings that would take place in different parts of the Netherlands at this time will be postponed for the time being. If all goes well, what will become of the Ukrainian model of 2017, when the postcard shooting, was the first week of rehearsals.

 

Eurovision 2020: This is EBU’s Plan B

Slovenia’s Public Television Managing Director Natalija Gorscak unveiled EBU’s  Plan B for the 65th Eurovision Song Contest. According to Gorscak, if the pandemic continues to spread, then this year’s contest is likely to be held by contestants interpreting their entries from their countries of origin in a television studio.

“At the EBU they are preparing as if Eurovision is normal. I am personally in touch with the administration, which has a plan B in which we will be more involved [the national broadcasters]. In Slovenia, this is supposed to be done in the TV studio.

If this scenario goes ahead, each member will broadcast their participation from a television studio. That’s what they think. Everything is under discussion, but in principle it acts as if Eurovision was in Rotterdam [as originally planned]”

Natalija Gorscak’s statements confirm the previous announcement by the EBU that any official announcements on the issue will take place in mid-April.

This proposed Plan B will be reminiscent of the EBU plan for Russia’s participation in the 2017 Eurovision Song Contest. Prior to the competition in Kiev, Russia’s Yulia Samoylova was banned from entering Ukraine due to her previous appearance in the disputed region of Ukraine. Crimea. EBU offered Russia the opportunity to appear in the competition using a satellite link between a Russian studio and the main arena in Kiev. However, Russia preferred to withdraw from the competition.

However, it is more likely that the plan the EBU is considering this year will include video performance rather than live performances, as this would even have technical problems for the EBU. In addition, it proposes that the EBU will make every effort to make the contest as planned in May, possibly because logistical issues make it virtually impossible to postpone it for later.

Source:ESCXtra

 

EBU: The announcement for the coronavirus and Eurovision 2020

EBU released an announcement a few minutes ago about the progress on Eurovision 2020 procedures! As is typically stated in the announcement, the work by the organizers continues as normal.

The EBU closely monitors the course of the coronavirus as well as the guidelines provided by the World Health Organization and local authorities. Therefore, the EBU and NOS-AVROTROS-NPO are working closely together at this time. The goal of all parties is to explore possible scenarios for Eurovision 2020!

However, with 2 months to 3 live shows and a rapidly changing situation in both the Netherlands and the countries of the participating broadcasters, it is still too early to make any final decisions.

As one can see, we are in the final line of developments with regard to this year’s Eurovision. Everything is fluid and will largely depend on how the virus spreads. The fact that almost all major events in Europe are on a deferred course is clearly a negative sign.

Eurovision 2020: Heads of Delegations meeting is over

With the established family photo, the meeting of the 41 Heads of Delegations participating in the 65th Eurovision Song Contest was completed shortly.

This year’s meeting was compounded by the aftermath of the coronavirus flare, which resulted in six delegations not to go to Rotterdam but to participate via live streaming. These countries were Sweden, Finland, Israel, Switzerland, Italy and of course as you first read at Eurovision Fun Greece. But there were also some absences from the EBU after an outbreak of the virus was detected by an organization employee in Geneva. As a result, all union officials were put on a travel ban and quarantined, and as a result, no one went to Rotterdam for the meeting of leaders, including chief executive Jon Ola Sand.

The meeting, however, went smoothly and the organizers had the opportunity to present to delegations everything they were preparing for Eurovision 2020. The producer of this year’s competition, Sietse Bakker, said in his statement that everything was humanly possible in order for Eurovision 2020 to normally held in May in Rotterdam. The Israeli chief of staff, however, made it clear that, for precautionary reasons, their representative, Eden Alene, would not travel to the Netherlands for the postcard shooting of her participation, adding yet another headache to the organizers.

Image